- I HAVE LEARNT HOW TO WRITE
A REPORT IN THE RIGHT STRUCTURE
Check-list for Report Writing :
- The opening statement classifies the subject of the report.
- The opening statement is followed by sentences (usually factual) that describe such things as appearance, behaviour and other aspects of the phenomenon being described.
- The writing has paragraphs, each one focusing on a different aspect of the phenomenon. Topic sentences are used.
- A general statement about the topic usually rounds off the report.
- Diagrams, illustrations or photographs are often used.
- Present tense verbs are used.
- Verbs for describing and classifying (is, are, has, have, belongs to) are used.
- Action verbs are used to describe behaviours (climb, eat)
- Action verbs are used to describe behaviours (climb, eat).
- Personal reports focus on the individual (my dog).
- Scientific or technical reports focus on classes of things (dogs).
- Nouns and noun phrases are used rather than personal pronouns.
Cross Country Report
Opening Statement :
Cross Country at St Pius X is a day of running. Cross country started at 1.30 in the afternoon, the whole school gathered in the school tennis courts. The races were just about to begin. The first load of runners were getting ready.
Paragraph one / first aspect of the Event - Cross Country :
The 12 and 13 year olds started first with their run, then it went on from the 11 years olds down to the 5 year olds. But of course the senior and junior syndicate had totally different courses. `Each age group from the senior syndicate went straight after each other.
Paragraph two - Second aspect of the Event
The starting point was at the back of the church in front of the school office.
Each student of each age group stood at the starting line waiting for the big BANG for them to all start running. Most of them jogged down the hill and carried on until they reached the hill and started walking.
Final Paragraph - Last aspect
The senior syndicate had finally finished all their laps and it was up to the junior syndicate to start with their races. The junior age groups went from 8 to 5 year olds. It went 8 year old boys then 8 year old girls, it was the same for all the junior age groups. Cross country was almost finished it was just up to the 5 year old boys and girls. The last race was very fierce for the 5 year olds, everyone of them were catching up with each other and there was a lot of speed in them. Although the course was really small, the course for the juniors was just around the school field but the senior course was 2 rounds around the block.